Tasty fruits and vegetables!
How do you make eating fruits and vegetables fun for kids? We decided to let our creativity run wild and create fruit and vegetable animals! Follow the steps below and try it out with the children in your life! This way, the kids will get to experience the colours, consistency, and shape of the fruits and vegetables quite differently and have a lot of fun with these healthy snacks!
- Cut each strawberry from the bottom up towards the green stem.
- Fold down the strawberries to form wings.
- Arrange on a plate.
- Add two mint sprigs to create the antennae of the butterflies.
- Grapes (preferably green)
- Cut the pear and the grapes in half vertically.
- Then, place half of the pear in the middle of the plate and arrange the grapes in a fan all around.
- Spread the blueberries on the bunches of grapes to mimic the pattern of the peacock feathers.
- Finally carve a beak and two legs out of the carrot (best to leave this part to the grown ups as it requires delicate knife work)
- Use different varieties interchangeably as the head, scales and fins.
- Cut the vegetables into thin slices and arrange them on a plate.
- For the cute bubbles use blueberries.
- Orange bell pepper/baby carrots
- Red bell pepper
- Cherry tomato
- To create the head, we cut two pointed ears out of the cucumber peel and made feathers by slicing an orange bell pepper into strips.
- To create the big, nocturnal eyes, we had to cheat a bit: we filled the lids of two bottles with a little bit of sour cream and shaped the pupil with a thin slice of tomato.
- For the belly, we also used cucumber, this time cutting them into thin slices.
- For the wings we arranged small cherry tomatoes and red bell pepper cut into strips.
- For the feet, you can easily prepare these with a few remaining bell pepper strips.
Let your creativity know no bounds! You can make many more animals from seasonal fruits and vegetables. Children can be great helpers and arrange the fruits and vegetables using their own imaginations. However, we recommend that you take over the tasks with the knife, for safety purposes. These animals help to activate and sensitize a child’s taste buds to various new flavors. They get to know the fruits and vegetables better and it gives them an enjoyable, enticing way to eat healthier. We wish you a lot of fun! PS: Feel free to share and don’t forget to tag us @Babysits on Instagram or Facebook if you're creating these cute little animals!